Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY: Hunger Games Bracelet

     The Hunger Games is one of my favorite book trilogies. I also enjoyed the movie, but not as much as I enjoyed the novels (you can read my review of it here). My boyfriend often tells me that I'm just like Katniss (though, weirdly enough, it's not always a compliment). When I bought the DVD the first day it was released, I also received a free mockingjay necklace. However, it was strung on one of those plastic-y leather cords, so I never wore it. It was uncomfortable, and not really made for a 24-year-old. So I set the necklace aside, thinking I'd do something with it later.
      Then, for Christmas, my aunt gave me a beginner's jewelry-making kit (specifically, this one). Yesterday, I went to Jo-Ann Fabric and bought a few more colors of chain and a leather cord I thought would work well. When I got home, though, I realized it was the same type of cord that came with the necklace. I made it work for now, though I might replace it in the future with a suede cord.
     In case you've never seen Katniss's mockingjay pin, here is the pendant I started out with.

   
       From here, I measured out three links of chain for each side, along with one long cord of leather to string through the pendant (when I change to the suede I will probably add another cord). I used jump rings to attach the chains to the pendant, and then added clasps to the end of the leather. Here is a picture of the bracelet arranged after these steps.


     From here, I used jump ring at each end to connect the chain and cord to the bracelet clasp (do you call these types of closures clasps? Someone should let me know in the comments.) And that was the last step--I know! It was that easy. The whole project took me about an hour and a half, and that's only because I measured my wrist incorrectly and the chains were initially way too long. I cut them down, and re-attached the closure. Here's the final product!


     I really like the mixture of metals and the combination of metal and leather (and I'm looking forward to improving that aspect). I feel like the different colors and textures really make it look like something that could come from District 12. 


     Here is is on. The leather cord sits a little strangely, but that should be fixed when it's replaced by the suede.


    Let me know what you think in the comments! Also, go back to last week's edition of Gamer Drama and vote on which game I should play and review next!
    Look at me! I'm updating with some frequency! Yay!
 
    Edit: I updated the bracelet late last week. Here are a couple pictures! I did end up switching the leather out for suede. Here's a link to the blog entry--I also updated the silver doe Harry Potter plaque.




No comments:

Post a Comment